Funds were raised
from 1919 to commemorate those who perished in that war, correctly dated 1914 to 1919 because peace was not official until
the Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1919. The funds covered alterations to the sanctuary, the marble memorial shown
above and, much later, the purchase of land to erect the Church Hall. The war memorial plaque was dedicated in December
Like many church
war memorials, the plaque lists not only casualties who lived in the Parish but also regular worshippers who lived further
afield and even those who had regularly worshiped in St Agnes while visiting relatives.
Indeed, the first name turns out to be Carol Awdry, the older half-brother of the Rev. Awdry, author of the Thomas the Tank
Engine books. The family lived in Hampshire but, probably after the death of his mother, the young Awdry stayed with his uncle
and aunt who lived in St Agnes Parish. He may also have stayed later with them if he was unhappy about his father remarrying.
He was a second lieutenant in the Royal Munster Fusiliers and was killed, aged 20, just four days after the first meeting
of British and German troops in August 1914.
We have now visited some of the Commonwealth War cemeteries
on the Western Front in Belgium and France.